Prepare Your Home and Business - During a Storm
Just before and during a storm can be times of worry.
If you have made an emergency plan for your home or business, this is the time to act on the plans you have made.
There may be specific things outlined in your plan in relation to children, pets and even household items and important papers, photos and memorabilia, things you need to do to ensure that these important things are kept as safe as possible.
There may be certain things you need to add to your emergency kit, just in case. Things like important papers, water, food, medications, etc.
During a storm follow your emergency plan. There are also some simple general things you can do as well:
For the home:
- Move indoors, bringing children and pets with you
- Have your emergency kit handy in case you lose power or need to leave and add to your kit specific items relevant to your home or business
- Park your car under secure cover and away from trees, power lines and drains
- Before the storm arrives, secure or put away items from around the house, yard, or balcony that could blow around in strong winds
- Check to see if your neighbours are aware of the warning
- When flash flooding is likely, leaving low-lying homes and businesses well before flash flooding begins (evacuation) is the best action to take, but only if it is safe to do so. If you are trapped by rising floodwater, seek refuge in the highest part of a sturdy building. Stay there and call '000' (triple zero) if you need to be rescued
For your business:
- Check back-ups are current
- Check staff are aware of the storm warning and their plans are being carried out
- Raise stock if necessary or if there is a risk of flash flooding
- Listen to your local radio station and other media for information, updates and advice
- Unplug and avoid using electrical equipment connected to mains power, landline phones and modems
How will I know if a storm is on its way? Be Aware