Plan Now for What You Will Do
When a Severe Weather Warning or Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, it is important to follow your home or business emergency plan.
Your plan will outline the possible risks and hazards you face and how you can minimise the impacts of storms. Your plan can also help you identify actions and triggers for looking after children and pets during storms.
If you don't yet have a plan and there are current storm warnings, there are a few actions you can take now:
- Never drive, ride, walk or travel through floodwater
- Never let children play in floodwater
- Stay indoors, clear of windows
- Stay clear of creeks, drains, causeways, gutters, streams, fallen trees, power lines and damaged buildings
- If driving, put your hazard lights on and pull over to the side of the road keeping clear of drains, causeways, streams, creeks, trees and power lines
- If outdoors, seek secure shelter away from drains, causeways, streams, creeks, trees and power lines
- Listen to your local radio station and other media for information, updates and advice
Don't have a home or business emergency plan yet? NSW SES Emergency Plan
If you need emergency help during storms, call the NSW SES on 132 500.
In life-threatening emergencies, call 000 (triple zero).