The NSW SES will issue an 'All Clear' when it is safe for residents and businesses to return to a flood affected area, previously subject to an Evacuation Order.
When returning to your property:
- Ensure the structural stability of your property before entering. Check for damage to windows, walls and the roof and be especially cautious of potential contaminants including asbestos
- Make sure the electricity and gas is turned off before going inside. Use a torch to carry out inspections inside buildings
- If power points, electrical equipment, appliances or electrical hot water systems have been exposed to floodwater or are water damaged in any way, they must be inspected by a qualified electrician before use
- Gas appliances and gas bottles that have been exposed to floodwater should be inspected for safety before use
- Wear suitable protective clothing, including boots and gloves, when cleaning up
- Be aware of any slip, trip or fall hazards
- Never eat food which has been in contact with floodwater
- Only use clean utensils and personal items
- Have a supply of fresh drinking water
Disaster Recovery Centres
Disaster Recovery Centres may be established following some disasters. Recovery centres may provide a range of welfare services including financial assistance, personal support, organising temporary accommodation and providing information and referrals. If you have been affected by floods and require assistance, contact Disaster Welfare Services on 1800 018 444.
Learn how you can create your own Emergency Kit