FloodSafe for rural areas

Approximately 28% of the land area of New South Wales is subject to flooding. According to the Australian Water Resources Council, rural losses in terms of average annual actual damages are approximately equal to that of total urban losses.

The effects of flooding on rural property owners include losses to livestock, crops, fencing, buildings, personal items, farm equipment and machinery. While damage to crops and fences is usually unavoidable, there is the potential to reduce losses particularly of livestock, irrigation equipment, houses and sheds.

As a rural property owner or manager you may have experienced many floods. It is important to be aware that larger floods than those previously experienced can occur in your area.

Even if your property is not directly affected by flooding, you may be isolated and require assistance such as the supply of essential items and feed for livestock. While in many cases evacuation will not be necessary, you should consider evacuation as an option if severe flooding is predicted. Deciding to remain in your home when it is inundated or surrounded by floodwater can be dangerous.

Flooding may last for weeks. Your home may become a refuge for vermin, snakes and spiders. There may be no water, sewerage, power, telephone or other services for several weeks and you may be unable to call for help in an emergency.

The NSW SES has developed a Rural Properties FloodSafe Guide for information and advice on floods in rural and remote properties in NSW.

Watch the NSW SES Rural FloodSafe Community Service Announcement below that advises what to do to prepare for floods and possible isolation:

Related pages

Learn more about being FloodSafe for urban areas

32-48 Denison St, Bondi Junction NSW 2022
S.E.S. Story Time (5 years & under) at Waverley Library
S.E.S. Story Time (5 years & under) at Waverley Library Friday 19/08/2022 10:00 AM to 19/08/2022 11:00 AM
Back to top