Flood Evacuation Order for Kempsey CBD
23 February 2013, 3:27PM AET
The Bureau of Meteorology has predicted that the Macleay River at the Kempsey Bridge Gauge will Peak near 7.3 metres at 6am Sunday 24/02/2013 with further rises possible. At these levels the levee at Kempsey will exceed levee height of 6.8 metres tonight 23/02/2013 at 9pm, causing inundation of the CBD.
Do not delay your evacuation. Roads will be congested or closed. You could become trapped and need rescue. Remaining in flooded areas is dangerous and may place your life at risk. You can choose to go to friends or relatives. Alternatively, evacuation centres will be established at Kempsey High School Cnr Broughton and Sea Street West Kempsey where you can obtain temporary accommodation and other help.
If you don’t have a car, buses may operate where possible on normal routes. Special transport can also be provided on request if necessary, telephone 132 500.
As you evacuate you should:
- Take your important documents, mementos and photos
- Take your spare clothing and medicines
- If possible, check to see if your neighbours need help
- Turn off the electricity and gas
- Never drive, ride or walk through floodwater
- Continue to listen to a local radio station for updates
Further information for residents: