Prepare now for Impending Bad Weather
9 October 2012, 10:40PM AET
The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) has advised of deteriorating weather during Thursday and Friday. Heavy rain and strong winds are likely on the coast, with a possible low pressure system. The area most likely to be affected is between Batemans Bay and Newcastle. Snow is likely on the highlands from the Snowy Mountains to the Northern Tablelands.
The NSW SES urges people in likely to be affected areas to prepare now. Check out www.stormsafe.com.au for detailed information. A few simple things you can do now are:
- secure or put away loose items from your yard and balcony.
- trim overhanging trees and branches where safe to do so.
- clean gutters and downpipes.
- check your roof is in good repair.
- check your insurance is current and sufficient.
If you drive in areas affected by snow, drive to the conditions and obey road closed signs. Never drive, ride or walk through floodwater.
For emergency assistance in a flood or storm call the NSW SES on 132 500. Call 000 in a life-threatening emergency.