Severe thunderstorms impact northern New South Wales
17 November 2012, 10:32PM AET
Severe thunderstorms have been impacting northern New South Wales this evening with reports of strong winds, heavy rain and small hail. Around 80 jobs have come through to the NSW SES for roof damage and trees down mostly in the Woodburn area, with reported wind gusts of up to 100 kmh.
There have also been reports of trees and powerlines across roads in this area. For more information on affected roads go to Livetraffic.com
Small hail has been reported in the north-west of the state at Inverell and at Bingara where the roof of the Touriandi Lodge Retirement Village has been partially damaged. Three requests for assistance have been received in these areas.
There is currently a Severe Thunderstorm Warning in place for the Northern Rivers, Northern Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains and parts of the Mid North Coast districts. Advice from the Bureau of Meteorology is that the storm is tracking towards Armidale but no further storm cells are expected.
The NSW SES is urging residents in the affected areas to:
- Move vehicles undercover or away from trees and powerlines
- Secure or put away loose items around the yard and balcony
- Stay indoors and unplug electrical items
- Keep clear of fallen trees and powerlines
- Listen to local radio stations for updated information and advice
- For emergency help in a storm call the NSW SES on 132 500
Learn how to be StormSafe