Preparing Your Property For Cyclones
Following are simple actions you can undertake to prepare yourself, your home and your business for tropical cyclones.
Preparing prior to the tropical cyclone season can minimise damage to your property and save you time in an emergency. These actions will also help prepare your property from severe storms and even bushfires. You can prepare prior to the tropical cyclone season by:
- Trimming overhanging trees and branches around your property
- Fitting shutters or metal screens to glass areas
- Clearing away loose items in your yard or on your balcony
- Clearing leaves and other debris from gutters and downpipes
- Checking that the walls, eaves and roof are secure and in good repair
- Preparing a Home Emergency Kit
Prior to the cyclone season you should identify the strongest part of your property to move to should a cyclone occur in your area. You should also find out if your property is prone to flash or riverine flooding or storm surge.
More detailed information on preparing for tropical cyclones can be found on the Bureau of Meteorology website: Surviving Cyclones: Preparation and Safety.