Get Your Kit Together!
Putting Together an Emergency Kit for all Hazards
An Emergency Kit can help save precious time during a hazard. It provides items you might need if you lose power or need to leave your home in a hurry.
Your emergency kit contents:
- Portable radio with spare batteries
- Torch with spare batteries
- First aid kit (with supplies necessary for your household)
- Candles and waterproof matches
- Important papers including emergency contact numbers
- Copy of any Home Emergency Plans
- Waterproof bag for valuables
When leaving or evacuating your property, place in your emergency kit:
- A good supply of required medications
- Any special requirements and supplies for babies, the disabled, infirm and/or elderly
- Appropriate clothing and footwear
- Fresh food and drinking water
Keep your emergency kit in a waterproof storage container.
On a regular basis, check your emergency kit (remember to check use-by dates on batteries and gloves) and re-stock items if you need to.
Also, keep a list of emergency numbers near your phone or on your fridge.
The SES in partnership with PRIME 7 have developed a Home Emergency Kit information fridge magnet. You can get one of these fridge magnets from your local SES unit or you can download it here - Home Emergency Kit Magnet .
For emergency help in floods and storms call the SES on 132 500